C is for Charles, Colin, Coruanan, Cowal, Craigenterve. Tearlach is the Gaelic word for Charles, the name gaining some popularity from Bonnie Prince Charlie’s presence at several of the events of the 1745 Rising of the Clans culminating with the defeat at Culloden in April 1746. The heir to our Chief, Euan Maclachlan of Maclachlan is Charles Maclachlan, Younger of Maclachlan. Colin or ‘Cailean’ is almost as popular a name and is favoured by the Campbell’s who’s Chief, the Duke, is ‘Mac Cailein Mor’.
Coruanan was the home of the hereditary standard bearers to Cameron of Locheil, a family of MacLachlans said to have been the earliest cadet branch of the Strathlachlan family to leave Cowal. ‘cadet’ in this sense describes a junior branch of a family. Coruanan is on the south-east bank of Loch Linnhe, where it is almost a mile wide, about midway between the town of Fort William and the narrow Corran of Ardgour. All the senior MacLachlan families in northern Argyll are of the Coruanan family or are related to them by marriage; in fact all those members of the Clan in these parts would be related to them.
Locheil escaped to France in 1746 but his kinsmen funded him there with the help of a rise in rents and, inevitably, Alexander MacLachlan, wadsetter of Coruanan, lately a Major in the Rebel Army and subsequently a prisoner of the British government for some time, objected to suffering further to add to his absent leader’s comfortable escape from the threat of imprisonment. Animosity between the families became open with physical attacks until a prosecution was brought. The Coruanan family moved away, the branch at Aryhoulan, on the opposite side of the Loch taking up land in Victoria, Australia. The younger Coruanan members
went to Canada where some have represented their family in the Clan Society.
Alexander’s heir was his daughter Jean who married her cousin Dugald. The postmaster, the tax collector and other town officers in Fort William have been from the Coruanan family.

Cowal is the peninsula surrounded on all but the seven miles across the Rest-and-be-thankful Pass, by sea water of Lochs Fyne and Long, the Firth of Clyde and the Kyles of Bute. It is so named because it passed to the descendents of King Comhgall who was slain about 1500 years ago. Strathlachlan with Castle Lachlan, the home of our Chiefs for approaching a thousand years is on the western shore of Cowal and it is from here that the successors of Lachlan Mor ruled lands on both sides of the Loch, defending them against the ambitions of surrounding clans, the Lamonts, MacFarlanes, MacEwens, MacMillans and MacSwains. Like the MacLachlans, all were kin of the Ui Neill,, said to have been the oldest traceable family in Europe and confirmed for individuals in very recent times by DNA analysis. The north of Ireland and the west of Scotland were connected, rather than divided by the waters between them and the influence of the Celtic Kings of Ireland was strong with a legacy of alliances and strife that continued until the time of Oliver Cromwell, famous in English history but Scotland did not escape his interest.
Cowal includes the populous resort and home of the great Cowal Games, Dunoon, connected to Renfrewshire by two ferry companies. The husband of Mrs Kate Paton, the Chief’s piper, is a master mariner and skipper on the ferry boats. The most populous parish of Cowal has been Kilfinan supplying seaman for many Clyde-based ships. Lamont of Lamont has his house at Ardlamont, the southernmost point of Cowal and Campbell of Strachur is the head of another leading family. Besides the families closely related to the Chiefs of Maclachlan at Lephinmor, Lephinchapel and Feorline, Stronchullin was the home of a branch of the family on the west side of Loch Long in Kilmun parish.
C is also for Conchra in Glendaruel, a property about two miles inland from the west shore of Loch Fyne at Lephinchapel where William McLachlan and his line were hereditary ‘Kennel Keepers’ to the Dukes of Argyll two hundred and fifty years ago and earlier. The beauty of this part of Cowal has been extolled by local authors.
The most important overseas destination of early emigrants from Argyll was Canada for many years. When the Carolinas and other colonies in America became the arena of the War for Independence from English rule emigration Scotland and the rest of Britain was suspended; it was to the Canadian colonies to which attention was turned
There were Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Quebec and Ontario separately governed from London through local representatives brought together in the Confederation of Canada in 1867. Although Quebec province came under British rule following General Wolfe’s victory in 1759, settlement among French was limited in overall proportions. Many of the early British claims for land were made by soldiers choosing to take their discharge in Canada and though they would have been given preference over claims by people of French origin, the evidence is such a claim was not assured of success.
Corporal Charles McLachlan of the MacDonald Highlanders who had enlisted at Banff, Scotland to fight the American Patriots almost two and a half centuries ago, was captured and imprisoned on Staten Island. After being released to Nova Scotia, he was one of many who recognised the probability of a better way of life with the opportunity of owning land then a virtual impossibility in rural Scotland. His first application for a land grant was denied but, a year or so later, he, a sergeant and another soldier were successful in being granted land at Tracadie, east of Bathurst, New Brunswick. Although the spelling was corrupted to McLaughlin, presumably by Irish Catholic priests, there are now hundreds of people of that name in the area who first language is French.
A well-documented Mull family of blacksmiths are represented in a part of Quebec province very close to the Canadian capital on the north bank of the Ottawa River around Buckingham. Robert McLachlan, born in 1800, married Mary McDonald and took her to this area known as Lochaber Bay, nowhere near the sea. He lived until 1893 and they had ten children all of whom married. His younger brother Donald continued to serve the population of the west of Mull and on Iona as the local smith and married Mary’s sister Annabella. Their skill and industry supported long lives and a large surviving families. McLachlans were to be found throughout Ontaria, the province expanding as the urge to migrate from Europe grew, particularly from Scotland. At one time in Middlesex County, not a coincidence that it now includes the city of London on the River Thames, there were more inhabitants born in Scotland than in Canada. The children of many moved further west into Canada as ‘new’ territory was settled but as many moved into the United States, mostly into Michigan State where there was plenty of good farm land and industry at the entry point of Detroit.
Another family that had much to do with the Ottawa River was that founded by Hugh McLachlan and his wife Janet McLean who were early migrants from Scotland’s Fort William district; they are said to have been of the Coruanan family which is very likely correct and arrived in Canada a little less than two hundred years ago. First they took timber from the forests around Rigaud in Quebec west of Montreal and then set up mills further upstream at Arnprior on the Ontario bank of the Ottawa River when Daniel (1808-72) was at the head of the family’s lumber industry. The extent of his business placed him in the ‘lumber baron’ class and one critical comment of the attitude typical of his class arose after the dislodgement of a log jam on the River when a new bridge, recently erected by the community, was swept away as a consequence. He and others ignored the call for their accepting the social responsibility for replacing the bridge. Several of his descendents are or have been members of the Clan Society.
The McLaughlin Carriage Co was founded at Oshawa, to the west of Toronto by Robert McLaughlin who built horse-drawn vehicles but it was his son, R S ‘Sam’ McLaughlin (1871-1972) who turned it into the largest motor manufacturer in Canada. He was the grandson of an Ulster Presbyerian and his mother was of a Perthshire family. The business became General Motors Canada.

Craigenterve was, for almost four centuries, the home of the hereditary ‘leaches’ to the Argyll family first the Earls then the Dukes. The incumbent in the early part of the 16th Century was Lachlan, the leach, son of Iain, son of Angus and he was followed by Colin, alias McLachlan. And so, it appears, that is how they gained their surname. From the Craigenterve family came the MacLachlans of Innischonnell when a second son was appointed in place of the MacArthur, keeper of this old castle on Loch Awe, the headquarters of Clan Campbell before their ambitions took them to Inverary.
The last of the Craigenterve family was John Bell MacLachlan who died at his sister’s home in Eastbourne in 1949 at the age of ninety having previously lived with his mother and her second husband in Portsmouth for most of his life. Although he was attributed with the ownership of land in 1872 in Argyll valued 581 per annum, his effects in 1949 were worth only 727.